Hey guys! Not to much different to update today. Ellie is doing good and her oxygen levels are getting lower each day. That is an answer to prayer. About a week ago she was at 48%, which the doctors say is not that high. Last night, Ellie's nurse got her oxygen down to 28%! Room air is 21%, so that is awesome!!!!! Go, Ellie, Go!
Ellie has had to have a lot of blood work completed in the past few days. Since she has had that, plus her daily blood gas reading, she was a little low on blood. The doctors yesterday ordered a blood transfusion for her. I know this might sound scary, but Ellie has had a transfusion once before. Matt and I were kind of surprised she hasn't had more than two. The amount of blood they draw for her blood gas is a lot in itself. With that on top of the labs it is a little hard for a baby to replenish their blood like an adult could. She received 90 ml of blood and by the end of the night we could tell a huge difference. Her color was back and she was ready to go!
Matt and I have done Ellie's trach care by ourselves now for the past two days. It still makes us nervous, but we are getting a lot more comfortable with it. I like to think we have a little more freedom with our daughter now. To be able to do as much of her care on our own as we can, makes us so happy. Trach care is a very careful, delicate process. You have to go slow and easy, especially with Ellie. To see her tolerate and know we are doing it by ourselves gives us peace and happiness. We couldn't ask for anything more right now. She knows we are taking care of her and she loves it! What a great feeling to have.
Tomorrow is Ellie's heart cath. My nerves are a little on edge I will admit. After being told her trach surgery would be a simple process and then experiencing what we experienced with that, I will never let myself believe anything is simple. It's not. But, our little Ellie is a strong girl. She proves that over and over. The cath is scheduled for 10:45 am. As soon as she is back in her room and settled, I will update you and let you know how she is doing. Thank you for all of your continued prayers for Ellie. We can't begin to explain how they are helping us all.
Love,
Ellie's Mommy