Saturday, July 23, 2011

Still Going Strong






Hey everyone!  Ellie is still going strong today.  Twenty-four hours have come and gone and Ellie has held her own.  For someone the doctors did not have high expectations for the outcome of her cath, this little fighter sure did prove them all wrong.  I will admit, those two and a half hours were some of the scariest I have had in recent weeks.  She did so good!  I am so proud of her.  When all of the doctors and nurses were coming in to her room to take her up for the cath, I took one moment where it seemed like it was just her and I in the room.  I leaned in and kissed her on the forehead. At that moment I told her, "Ellie, you, daddy, and I have been fighting together for a long time now.  God is with us and especially you.  Be strong, my tough brave little girl."  Boy did she show me.  The three of us are in this fight together.  I am proud to call this little one my daughter.  She is showing me strength I didn't even know was possible.  All in a ten pound little girl.  She is so tough.

They have really just watched Ellie today.  She did develop a blood clot in her leg, which is not unusual after a cath.  Matt stayed all night with her and kept a very good eye on her(I wouldn't expect any less).  Once he noticed her foot was ice cold, he got the doctor who confirmed she had the clot.  They started her on a blood thinner and it will be going for 24 hours.  Her little leg and foot were warming up quite well as of this evening and they found a pulse without an ultrasound.  The nurses and doctors are still keeping a close eye on it, but hopefully it has resolved itself.

There is discussion now as to what to do next with Ellie.  There has been talk to wean her off of the paralytic or change some of her vent settings.  Her blood gases have been in the 40's, and that is actually too low for Ellie, so some changes do need to be made.We are not sure which they will do next.  Hopefully it will be just one of the above and not both.  Trust me, Matt and I both want to move forward with her care and treatment and the very slow move towards going home.  That being said, we don't want to rush anything and cause her to take a step backwards again.  We have always been told that they will do baby steps with her and that's ok with us.  Just knowing there is progress, keeps us happy. 

I will update you sometime tomorrow and let you all know if any changes have been made.  I know it's coming, we just are not sure what yet.   Please pray that whatever change they make, she will adapt to it well.  Shes a strong girl.  I know she can do it.

Hope you all have a good weekend.  We have had a great start to one.  Praying it continues!

Love,

Ellie's Mommy