Saturday, July 9, 2011

The Blink of An Eye

So, last night Matt and I spent the night in Ellie's room.  We actually, believe it or not, did get some sleep.  It felt so good to be able to all sleep together in the same room.  Just knowing Matt and I were right there if Ellie needed anything, was very comforting to us.  Ellie had a good night.  All of her levels held strong.  She had a good blood gas (carbon dioxide) reading this morning as well.  All of that is positives for us. 

Ellie as you all know has been heavily sedated for the past two weeks now.  We have mentioned that Ellie has been on a paralytic as well.  Yesterday morning (forgot to tell you all this) Ellie's eyes opened.  This is very unusual when on a paralytic but can happen.  Ellie's nurse last night said she had never seen a baby open their eyes when they are on a paralytic medicine.  She said it showed just how strong Ellie is.  Oh, how that made my day.  It just proves to me that my Ellie IS a fighter.  By this morning, I could feel the tiniest grip on my finger from her hand.  What a blessing.  Such gifts from the Lord.  That's been one of the hardest things for me the past two weeks.  To see your child sedated and lying there, it's a feeling I can't describe.  So to have that connection back, makes me a very happy mommy.

I told one of our new friends we met at the NICU last night that everyday is a blessing.  It is.  God has given Matt and I such a precious gift in Ellie.  I will never be able to thank the Lord enough for my children.  Everyday with her, getting to see those precious eyes, feel her hold my finger, everything about her, is a blessing from above.  I will cherish each and every moment I have with her. 

Love you all,
Ellie's Mommy