Sunday, July 31, 2011

Hopefully this night will get better-for Ellie

Well, it's safe to say this day has been up and down.  Ellie has had her good moments and then her very bad moments.   I will be flat honest with you guys, Ellie has had to be, what they called hand bagged twice today.  That is where her vent oxygen is up to 100% and she cannot recover oxygen wise.  At that point they physically take a oxygen bag and bag her until it comes up.  All of her xrays and ultrasounds and echo came back unchanged.  So, what does that mean? We aren't quite sure.  Matt and I still believe she is having belly issues and that could be some of it.  Why would that cause her to lose oxygen?  Well, if her belly is hurting her and she is trying to bear down to go to the bathroom, she could be clamping her airway.  Clamping, or cutting off her airway makes her lose oxygen.  When Ellie was on the paralytic she did not have the ability to clamp down if she was upset.  Now she does.  It's amazing how such a tiny little baby can have such control over their body already.  The only thing we think could be upsetting her tummy right now is medicine.  Not only can the medicine she is on daily upset her stomach, but she was also on a antibiotic for a couple of days.  Sometimes antibiotics can upset stomachs pretty bad.  Basically right now it's just a watch and see what she does.  We are hoping that if this is the case, the medicine will run its course and she will settle out again.  Several people have told us today they have seen babies have a hard time getting oxygen and even drop their heart rate when they are trying to use the potty.  And yes, I know Ellie will be upset with me for talking about this when she is older!  I just feel I need to let you all know specifically whats going on so you know how to pray.  And thank you for all of your prayers.  They have helped so much today.  It's been one stressful day.  This is again why they say life in the NICU is a roller coaster.  You have your good days and then your bad.  Right now, I will be honest these past couple days have been bad.  Hopefully the rest of the week will get better. 

I am going to get back to watching Ellie.  She is in a pretty good sleep right now so that's why I had time to update you again.  If anything changes through the night I will update you all as soon as I can.  Thank you all again for following us, praying for us, and believing in us.  Ellie is one very lucky girl to have so many people that care about her!

Love,
Ellie's Mommy