I have one living grandparent. My Grandpa Doan is 96 years old. He has been so strong for so many years. I think anyone in my family would agree and smile about the fact of how many times he would be sick, need surgery, brake a hip, suffer mini strokes and think he was passing away. Not this man. Any one that knows him knows this was not the case. Many, many, MANY times he has come back stronger. As I went to see him this afternoon, I have really begun to see and believe that the time is nearing when he is going to go to heaven.
Today when I went to visit him, it broke my heart. My Grandpa for so many years of my life was the man that was active in his garden, loved yard work, like to go to the donut bank and LOVED to tease. To see him now, bed ridden and barely able to speak, is hard. I know it is hard for him as well. What is amazing is how he can still remember us and so many things. He doesn't remember everything all of the time, but for 96, his mind is still sharp. He remembers the girls. He knows where they are.
We were talking today at his bed and all at once he looked at me with tears in his eyes. He then said to me "I am soon going to be kissing your girls and my wife!" It was all I could to keep from losing it in front of him. He then started crying harder and kept talking about seeing them and my grandma. We were able to talk a little about how neat that moment will be. The past two years I have not been able to spend as much time with him as I would have like to, so to have that time with him today, was so, so special. I am so grateful for it. I have to admit too, that to know he is possibly very close to seeing Maddy and Ellie, makes me a little jealous! The rest of this day I have wondered what that will be like for him. He never got to see Maddy or meet Ellie. How awesome for him that he is going to be welcomed in to heaven by Matt and I's two beautiful girls. What a beautiful picture that has been put in to my mind today.
The past few days have been filled with a lot of emotions for me. To see my grandpa today, brought a lot more. I am left tonight picturing the moment Grandpa is called home and sees Grandma, Eric, David, Maddy, and Ellie. To picture that moment leaves me speechless...
Love,
Ellie's Mommy